Every now and then I get craving for something sweet or salty. This is your body’s way of letting you know what it needs. But even though your body sounds like it is saying, “chicken wings,” or “candy,” there are often other substitutes and ways to eat appropriately.
One of the best books I’ve found to curb my eating habits while still getting the taste I want is the popular book series, “Eat this not That.” I’ve found all types of tips on changing one or two ingredients and saving hundreds of calories. For example:
1. Eating frozen grapes instead of candy. It still gives your body the sugar (but healthy instead) that it is craving while also mixing up eating fruit the traditional way.
2. Try pretzels instead of potato chips. It’s a simple and effective switch. Unlike potato chips, pretzels have usable calories instead of empty calories.
3. Make a lettuce wrap instead of a sandwich. I just started doing this and I love it! Lettuce wraps provide the same fullness without giving you the sluggish feeling that can come from eating too much bread.
4. Eat chips and salsa instead of with cheese. If you must have chips,(which, come on, we all do sometimes) try having tortilla chips with salsa, minus the nacho cheese. Tortilla chips are healthier than other chip options and salsa is miles ahead of cheese because it provides more nutritional value.
5. Use avocado instead of mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is mainly fat. Avocado is also fat, but a healthy fat in moderation. It provides the same creamy need when put on sandwiches that mayo does, just minus the fat.
Hopefully these tips and tricks will help you along the way!
G vs. G